Monday, February 8, 2010

January 2010 Houston Aramco Half Marathon

Well Happy Late New Year!!

All the holidays had past since my Half Iron Distance Tri in November which basically meant little to no training. After Christmas I started back running a little in preparation for the Half Marathon in Houston January 17th. I had taken off after Christmas till January 5th to be with family.

The brother and Sister and their families all met up in East Texas for a late Christmas with our mother who has been in a nursing home since 2005. We all got to see her January 30th for a little late Christmas. Mother didn't look that great but we still all enjoyed the visit. The following day we all said our good bye's.

I got back to work on the 5th then got a call that mother was rushed back to the hospital and wasn't doing well. My sister, brother and I talked the next couple of days on what was best for our mother. That Thursday I made the trip back up there to be with them and the decision was made to move mother back to the nursing home under the care of Hospice. Friday she was moved into a nice larger room where the family could spend time with her. The following Monday evening Jan. 11th our mother past away peacefully in her sleep.

We spent the next few days making arrangements then having the funeral Friday the 15th. It was about that time that someone mentioned to me "don't you have a half marathon coming up"? I said yes it is Sunday. The question was asked "are you still going to run" I responded "Yes in memory of mother".

Well I did just that and one of the sweetest moments during the run that Sunday January 17th morning was when I was approaching another lady running who had a bib on her back. It read "Running in memory of ****** born xx-xx-xxxx past January 11, 2010." As I read it my eyes teared up. As I got next to the lady I patted her on the back and gave her my condolences then said, "I lost my mother the same day and I am running for her" We both had tears in our eyes then we went on our way.

I knew I wasn't going to set any personal best but I did know what I had ran in 2009 and that is what I had my eye set on. The weather was perfect and the crowds and volunteers were amazing.

I did finish the event and I did finish 2 minutes faster than 2009. I try to keep a possitive outlook in life and I understand while there are days that may seem like they couldn't get any worse there is always something good. Like our mother, yes it was a sad day for all of us, but it was a great day for her since she was no longer in pain or suffering! It is those types of thoughts that keep me going whether I am swimming, biking, or running.

January has come and gone. I getting back into my routine with my nutrition and exercising.

I look forward to more events in my near future!

Until then,

Keep TRI'ing

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear you lost your mom. My mom was in a nursing home for quite a while before she passed away a couple of years ago. That is quite the story about the other runner!

    ReplyDelete