Monday, November 2, 2009

What got me started....

I think as with most people, when you reach certain stages in life you do different things for yourself. Some buy a motorcycle, some buy sports cars, etc. Well for me I was turning 40 in 2007. Not a real big deal to me other than just another number, I mean I don't let it bother me like some people do. Well the year 2007 wasn't such a great year for me, just coming off a divorce in 2006 and back to living the life of a single dad, staying busy at work, I was going going going all the time.

I have always struggled I guess with weight throughout my life. Not to extreme but always hefty. I think my highest weight was somewhere around 240-250 at 5'9" that put me in the obese area.

Anyways, back to what got me started. In 2007 I was about 240# and couldn't run a 1/4 mile to save my life. January 2007 we lost our sister, she was 34, very overweight and had lots of medical problems. 3 months later our father passed away, he had many medical problems from COPD to Heart disease. Our mother and father both went into a nursing home right after Hurricane Rita.

So as I said 2007 wasn't the best of years, so after our father passed I started thinking about myself, my children, my health and started going back to the gym and working on eating better. I started walking, then walk/running short distances. An employee of mine talked me into doing the Houston Aramco Half Marathon. I figured what the hell so I signed up. I kept training more or less off and on, then they had the Kick off Party and 5K. This was the first 5K I had ran in 20 years. It didn't take me long to find out I wasn't near ready for the Half Marathon. I did finish it in 32'ish minutes.

I did have a blast which gave me a taste of running events. So I started stepping up my training. Continued to eat right and also lost weight.

I have completed numerous 5K's, few 10K's, two half marathons, few sprint triathlons and I love it. When the opportunity to sign up for the Half Ironman came around I jumped on it. I will be doing the Ironstar Ironman 70.3 this coming weekend Nov. 8th

As the title of the blog reads "Tri4Me", I do this for me, I chose to start these things to better my health, I compete only against myself. I love the environment of running and multisport events. Probably one of the best parts about it to me anyways is "EVERYTHING" is possitive. Whether you are first, last, skinny, fat, ripped or just mediocre, the people that surround these events motivate you, inspire you, support you. Volunteers are amazing, spectators are amazing. It gives me chills just thinking about it.

I enjoy doing these things for myself and if it helps me to be healthier for my family and gives me the feelings of accomplishent then I am happy.

2 comments:

  1. Great attitude! Keep up the good work. Wish you the very best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, this is truly amazing! What an accomplishment! I have always admired your work ettic and had the upmost respect for you as a man. Great job - keep it up!
    Regina

    ReplyDelete